Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Project 2: Intersection



For my final revision, I really tried to bring out the abstract essence of the watch. I cut and designed a cardboard container to fit the scale of the watch and left just enough room for the clock to protrude outward, giving the impression that the container itself is a designer clock. I utilized squares instead of the circles because the shape of my watch is actually a square. The proportions of the squares are 12 centimeters as well as 12 thread marks along each edge of the squares to imitate the redundancy and emphasis of the number 12 on a clock. Also, the threads from the top view give the illusion of tick marks on a clock. I designed four 6" cardboard slabs diagonally to support the structure but also to bring out the four large diagonal tick marks on my watch. I bent the slabs at a slanted angle so that it gives the design a sense of movement, like gears in a clock, and also represents that time is....timeless.


After much critique on my design having to much literal focus I decided to tinker with more abstract techniques. Here, on a miniature version, I tried to utilize negative space to create the tick marks on a clock while the positive space (cardboard slabs) would hold the design up and the watch would fit through the center square.



These next two pictures show the second stage of the design process once I gathered ideas on what my special object should be. I quite literally designed a retro clock to allude to the special object inside, my watch. I choose the 1" squares with the roman numerals on them because I thought they resembled a gear as well as the tick marks on a clock.


For this project, the goal was to design a container for a special object using some form of paper, fabric, and thread.
This first picture was a preliminary stage. I could not decide on a special object at first because I didn't feel I had anything small enough to design a 'container' around. I ended up choosing a mushroom in the shape of a shell that was an experiment in my joinery project. I choose this because 'special' has a very loose meaning and I interpreted it as something interesting as well as intimate.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see that you've included your process models. Don't forget to post your process sketches.

    Kuniko

    ReplyDelete