Thursday, September 24, 2009

Project 3: Structure

In this project, the goal was to create a 4x4x4" cube structure using white Bristol board and intersect them using straws that would sit on an 8" platform. So far, this has been my favorite project.




In my first step I decided to create a 4" cube using cardboard because it was a material I had handy and I wanted to see if my design would be sturdy. I cut out 4" squares and connected them using a square joint. I attached separate 1" squares to the square joints that were already in place. While the cube gives the impression of only being 2x2x2" I consider the integrated square joint as part of the cube structure. I also like the abstract expression of the square joints having to positive spaces and two negative spaces. The concept behind the design was to emphasis the harmony and intersection of squares. The straws were added on later as the project progressed. I used transparent straws for this phase and integrated them into the negative spaces of my square intersections to play off my concept of abstract cubes.




In my 2nd phase, I transferred my design into Bristol board with little complications.


Here was one of my ideas of integrating straws (coffee stirrers) into my design.



This was my 3rd phases. I was playing around with several ideas of how to connect my cubic structure and integrated straws with my two platforms.



My 4th phase and final step was a success. My concept, along with the idea of a purely cubic structure in abstract form, was to have a precise and neat design. I focused on the ideas of scale and size in my final revision.
My intersection cubes are 1", my central cube is 2", my cube base is 4", my 1st platform is 6", and my 2nd platform is 8". I also chose to have each layer a different size. I used Bristol board for the cube and 4" platform, 1 layer of foam board for the 6" platform, and 2 layers of foam board for the 8" platform. These decisive ideas give the structure a harmonious flow and emphasis geometric rules just like a cube.
Lastly, I utilized the coffee stirrers to play off the abstract square intersections on my cube, having 2 straws per square represent the positive space with two open ended negative space edges.







No comments:

Post a Comment