Friday, February 11, 2011

Jenga 2.0 Reflection

If I have learned anything from the 2nd phase of this project it is that I need to work on compositional integrity and flow. Coming into this semester, I have realized my close attachment to hand rendering and technical drawing, a quality I never would have guessed, entering the major, would be more important to me than computer aided design; there seems to be something more personal and intimate about it that I have grown accustomed to. On that note, my focus has been on the spatial layout and crafted quality of the project, while creating a crisp layout has been put on the back burner and this is, in part, due to hand rendering because it takes more effort to scan in everything and create a composition as opposed to everything already preexisting on a computer. My efforts as I enter the next phase of this team project is to combine our strengths and get more comfortable with the computer aspects of design that I could truly benefit from and grow as a designer. I also tried to choose my team members with careful selection. Anna has experience in Auto CAD and utilizing the wood shop for model building that I would prefer over chipboard models primarily cut at CAM Studio. Faith has experience with Auto CAD and Podium rendering for perspectives as well as excellent color and placement judgment represented in her diagrams. I have a focus on hand rendering and meticulous study of space as well as work in CAM Studio so we can be efficient and proficient in both CAM and the woodshop. On a final note, through observing everyone else’s work, I witnessed the same issues with compositional layout but I feel I am a step behind simply because hand rendering has more restrictions and hurtles to cross to create an organized board and that is what I plan to improve on in the next phase of this Jenga project.

No comments:

Post a Comment